Test Development Engineer
Tallysman Wireless ®, a subsidiary of Calian Group Ltd., is an Ottawa-based producer of products and components for Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS). These include RF and high-performance antennas and intelligent location-based wireless infrastructure solutions for tracking systems. Tallysman products are complex devices that include RF circuits and dense logic and GNSS receiver devices.
We are a rapidly growing company and have an immediate opening for a Test Engineer to join our product development group.
The successful applicant will be required to conceptualize, plan and implement computer-controlled RF test systems, potentially using Python as a programming language. The test systems may include IEEE488 bus-controlled instrumentation, such as Vector Network Analyzers (VNA), USB controlled DC power supplies etc. Duties will range from testability assessment for new products to 100% serialized test data logging for GNSS products. Assistance will be available for the more esoteric aspects of RF systems.
Ideally, candidates should have manufacturing experience with hardware products. We don’t anticipate experience exactly aligned with these specialized job requirements. Still, it will be important that the successful candidate be pragmatic, practical, with a strong a, can-do attitude and excellent interpersonal skills.
Duties and Specific Responsibilities
- Conceive, plan and implement computer-controlled test and measurement systems that might include IEEE488 and USB/serial communication controlled instruments
- Develop test methods and code test sequences for existing automatic test systems
- Work closely with antenna and RF design engineers to ensure testability is considered during product development
- Document test methods and procedures based on product specifications, with means to serialize tested devices identified by bar codes labels
- Integrate /develop means for logging and retrieving test data by serial number
- Do all things required to advance the testing of products within Tallysman
Skills and Capabilities
- Experienced and be knowledgeable with computer-controlled hardware, with good knowledge of Python or similar
- Some awareness of RF is desirable, but not essential, as expert help is at hand
- Some knowledge of computer-controlled instruments over a variety of common interfaces (including.IEEE488, USB and RS232)
- Some familiarity with large file management practices
- Self-sufficient, practical engineer with a “get things done” attitude
- Solid organizational and documentation skills.
- Good communication skills, both written and spoken
- Excellent interpersonal skills – works well in a team environment; capable of supportive interaction with production
- We don’t expect applicants to have an exact match of skills and experience, but with time to learn, we do expect the incumbent to become a core member of our product development group.
Qualifications and Experience
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- Two or more years of product design/ test engineering experience.
Tallysman is a rapidly growing company in a highly competitive industry. Our employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, competitive salary, and the ability to grow and be challenged in a supportive, collaborative environment. The business operates within Calian, Advanced Technologies, a business unit within Calian, Group Ltd., a publicly-traded company whose shares are on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol TSX:CGY.
Tallysman® Wireless accommodates people with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection processes.
Please apply with your resume and cover letter. Candidates who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
Interested in this position? To apply for this opportunity, please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.