Surface Mount Assembly Process Engineer
Tallysman Wireless®, a subsidiary of Calian Group Ltd., is an Ottawa-based producer of products and components for Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS). These include RF and high-performance antennas and intelligent location-based wireless infrastructure solutions for tracking systems.
Tallysman is looking for an experienced Surface Mount Assembly (SMT) Engineer or Technologist in Ottawa to oversee the engineering aspects of installation, commissioning and operation of a new automatic, high-speed SMT facility.
The ideal candidate will have had experience running or being technically responsible in an equivalent production facility. The person we seek is likely an engineer or Technologist with initiative, relevant experience, and an understanding of the need for tight process documentation and the integration of adequate quality assurance.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the successful candidate will be responsible for commissioning and taking ownership of the production capability of the end SMT line,
- Cooperatively with equipment vendors, specify, qualify and scale PCBA manufacturing processes for equipment that will include stencil printers, pick and place machines, reflow oven, and Automated Optical inspection machine, and may include PCB conformal coating.
- Create systems and methods to manage consumable materials, including re-order points responsive to lead times.
- Defined and implement pre-assembly methods and procedures for materials handling.
- Instigate and lead investigative teams to resolve production faults/yield problems as they arise.
- Define and establish procedures for rework.
- In cooperation with the SMT equipment vendors, establish day-by-day standards of equipment care and preventative maintenance requirements and schedules.
- Create process control documentation as required.
- Work with Quality Assurance to provide a high-quality, high-capacity SMT facility.
- Establish control records for stencils and printed circuit boards and means for storage/ filing of same, specifically concerning traceability.
- Participate in PCBA DFM reviews with Engineering to identify and evaluate the manufacturing risk during NPI stage.
- Partner with Engineering, Sourcing and Quality teams to instigate the best PCBA manufacturing practices.
- Lead PCBA manufacturing process improvement for yield, cost and efficiency.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Manufacturing or similar
- Extensive experience working in an SMT facility at a high responsibility level
- A deep knowledge of and understanding of SMT equipment,
- A deep knowledge of underlying SMT processes.
- Thorough Knowledge of and understanding of IPC A- 610, ISO standards.
- Excellent communicator and team player – willing to engage in group problem solving when necessary
We offer our employees a competitive benefits package and an exciting, challenging, and rewarding working environment.
Interested in this position? To apply for this opportunity, please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.